Friday 11 December 2009

Litz wire for 500kHz Loading Coils

After designing my 'pump' adjustable Ferrite coil for 500kHz I found a reference by Mitchell Lee to a Ferrite push rod arrangement. This really is quite similar to my set up.

The same write up mentions that Litz wire is good for an extra 6dB in some instances.

Litz now being rare, I wound a coil with 'home brew' Litz. Actually three enamelled copper wires twisted into a trifila winding, providing three times the surface area of an equivalent size single
wire.
Some of the coils I tried were less efficient, due I think to poor power transfer with link coupling, despite the match looking good. This time I used a tap coupling. The large coil is some 680uH and the small Ferrite rod adjustable one is 50uH when air cored.

The large coil is wound on a genuine Tupperware container a further larger container is inverted over the coil as a protective weather cover.

All coil formers are fitted with screw threads so that they are interchangeable for tests.

I adjust tuning for maximum RF field, sensed on a whip or maximum current on a small QRP meter.

Using a field strength meter it is immediately apparent when a good match is achieved.



The QRP current meter has a single turn on the centre wire, the current into a 50 Ohm load is indicated by the mid scale reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment