Friday 4 December 2009

500kHz QRPp

I decided to try QRPp on 500KHz. I have run my Low Power MEPT's with WSPR on HF and VHF / UHF with good results.
I then developed the XORgan which uses 2 Crystals and an XOR mixer to produce WSPR code at Audio frequency for PC Less and thus lower power consumption WSPR.

The XORgan led me to try the Hypersonic XORgan using the same method to directly generate WSPR, QRSS and Hellschriber at a very very high Audio frequency :-) 500KHz in fact.

I added a one chip Buffer / PA stage so that in just 2 chips I have a complete LF Transmitter with an RF Otput of 160mW. Existing stations on 500kHz were geting good results using 5Watts from their TX's and WSPR. I reconned I could get usable results with my 160 mW (15dB less power) so that was the basis for my Experimental Permit.

Quite rightly some advice said that on LF if you have a little Antenna Loss it is no great problem as you can just use a little more power to compensate. On the RX side there is little need for a super efficient Antenna. At my QTH I dont have the possibility for a very good Antenna so I have to make the small set up I have as efficient as possible. With QRPp there is nothing available to waste.
Up to now results have been quite encouraging. Antenna tests continue, more on that and the results later.

No comments:

Post a Comment