Tuesday 16 February 2010

Receive Loop Antenna for 500kHz

I have good receive results on 500kHz, using my 40m Doublet with feeder strapped and no ATU I have copied the USA WSPR stations when only one other UK station was Spotting them also.
My TX antenna works well for RX too, yet with much discussion and some good results being reported using Indoor Loops I decided to try one.
I find one major problem when used indoors, despite the fact that the Loop can be oriented to reduce the pick up of interference from my Computer Monitor in the same room, the QRM from the Neighbour's Panasonic Plasma TV is severe and makes the band completely un-usable.

I hated the whole concept of Plasma TV's before one moved nearby. Despite the fact that I have many Panasonic Goods, I now despise that company for producing such poor equipment. In most cases of Plasma QRM it is Panasonic to blame.

In this wonderful enlightened age, the 42 inch Plasma TV is used in conjunction with a Dummy in the mouth of pre school children to rear and educate them with ranting American Cartoons on the Cartoon Channel. When the bleary eyed child decides he must sleep, the family continue to watch until the early hours. Therefore the QRM can seem to be 24/7 at times.

Other than that the Loop performance is impressive. I designed mine with 8 turns of 48 strand Litz wire spaced 10mm on a wooden frame.


It is tuned with a salvaged 3 Gang 500pF tuning capacitor. Coupling is by means of a toroid, just visible on the bottom mid turn in the picture below.


On a short test before the Loop was optimised, when the Child Rearer was off, I Spotted PA0A on WSPR in the daytime.

1 comment:

  1. Strange "water hack" burns 2lbs overnight

    More than 160 thousand men and women are trying a easy and SECRET "liquids hack" to drop 1-2lbs every night as they sleep.

    It is simple and works with anybody.

    Here are the easy steps for this hack:

    1) Grab a drinking glass and fill it with water half glass

    2) And now do this crazy hack

    and you'll become 1-2lbs lighter when you wake up!

    ReplyDelete